Posts for: December, 2019
Ready to find out the type of birth control that will fit into your lifestyle?
Whether you are considering birth control for the first time or unsatisfied with your current method, your OBGYNs in Ridgewood and Bayonne, NJ, Dr. Eric Bentolila and Dr. Jacqueline Saitta, can provide you with the information and insight you need to make an informed decision about the best birth control option for you.
The Types of Birth Control
There are three main ways that birth control can prevent pregnancy: the barrier method (prevents sperm from reaching the egg), ovulation prevention, or by preventing implantation of the fertilized egg. The barrier method includes diaphragms and condoms, while birth control pills are used to prevent ovulation. Intrauterine devices (IUDs) are classified as birth control that prevent implantation of the egg.
While there are many types of birth control, here, we are going to discuss the most popular and widely used options, their efficiency, and for how long they are effective (stats provided by Planned Parenthood):
- Intrauterine device (IUD): lasts anywhere from 3-12 years and is 99 percent effective
- Birth control shot: administered every 3 months and is 94 percent effective
- Birth control vaginal ring: replaced monthly and is 91 percent effective
- Birth control pill: taken daily at the same time and is 91 percent effective
- Condoms: used every time and is 85 percent effective
- Diaphragms: used every time and is 88 percent effective
- Tubal ligation and vasectomy: permanent birth control options that is 99 percent effective
The Right Birth Control for You
There are many factors that can play in role in which type of birth control is right for you. Some of these factors include,
- The most effective options for preventing pregnancies (success rates)
- Ease of use
- Whether or not you need PMS relief
- If you’re looking to also treat acne
- Whether or not you are looking for a low-dose of hormone
These are some factors to discuss with our OBGYNs in Ridgewood and Bayonne, NJ, to help you weed out the options that don’t work so you can find the birth control option that fits right into your routine.
If you want to discuss birth control options with an OBGYN that you can trust, call one of our offices today:
- Ridgewood, NJ - (201) 447-1700
- Bayonne, NJ -(201) 447-0467