Dr. Eric Bentolila and Dr. Jacqueline Saitta are your OB/GYN professionals in Ridgewood, NJ, and Bayonne, NJ. If you need birth control or want to know more about your options for preventing pregnancy, keep reading for some of the most common questions. Come see us to find the right birth control for you!
Which birth control method is right for me?
Birth control pills are an effective method of birth control, but some patients experience side effects of the hormones. It may take some trial and error to find the most effective method for your body. If you can't take birth control pills, other methods include:
- Vaginal rings are inserted into the vagina and release a low level of hormones to prevent pregnancy
- Subdermal implants usually go in the arm and release hormones
- An IUD or intrauterine device is implanted into the uterus and releases hormones
- Copper IUDs prevent pregnancy without hormones, because copper ions produce an inflammatory reaction that is toxic to sperm and eggs
- Barrier methods are nonhormonal and include diaphragms, condoms, and spermicide you use during intercourse to prevent sperm from reaching an egg
Is birth control only for preventing pregnancy?
The hormones in birth control can also be helpful in managing other conditions. Birth control pills can be prescribed to regulate periods, reduce severe cramps, and reduce acne symptoms.
Do I need a pelvic exam to get birth control?
You do not need to have a pelvic exam to get most types of hormonal birth control. Exams are done before IUDs are placed in the uterus, and to measure you for diaphragms and cervical caps.
What if I want to get pregnant in the future?
IUDs are effective for 3 to 6 years depending on what kind you choose, but they can be removed at any time. Talk to your doctor about any future plans for pregnancy and see what they recommend for you.
Dr. Eric Bentolila and Dr. Jacqueline Saitta prescribe birth control in Ridgewood, NJ, for women planning their future! You have many different options for birth control and we can help find the right method for you. Contact us for an appointment in Ridgewood, NJ, at (201) 447-1700, and in Bayonne, NJ, at (201) 447-0467.